Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Watch your words

Recently I received a text message on my mobile.
“Words are under your control until they are spoken.
Once they are spoken, you come under their control.”

Nice thought. So, let us take an example of how we this affects our life.
I have been always a quite guy who would like to listen to others. Not just listen, but try and understand the situation. Feel the joy and sadness the other person is feeling. So, when I listen to others, I imagine that I am in their place, experiencing all those things and how I would handle the situation. There have been so many situations where I sit patiently and listen and say “nothing” at all. Just listen…..

In the above scenario, the person who is talking to you, may not be able to look into your mind. They will be curious about what I may be thinking about the situation. Similarly they will be thinking about what others might be thinking about the situation. I can keep my thoughts as they are my own and let the other person decide what they are supposed to say and so.
There have also been situations where instead of keeping quite, I have told the other person, what I may be doing in such a situation and how other people would deal with it. But then i think -
“Does my opinion matter at all?”
”Has the other person told me all this to get my opinion or they just wanted to lend my ears?”
Well, the answer to the questions is very simple. Most of the times, your opinion does not matter and even if it matters, it is only then when the other person actually realizes what I have told them. I usually relate such things with my [and some people whom i have been close to] experiences. So, they usually tend to be the correct decision. But, even if they are politically correct and practical, we should always keep them with us until we are asked to do so directly. If we are not asked for our opinion, it is always a good idea to just listen and say nothing. Rather, we should develop such a habit with oneself. If we put our thoughts, we either make is confusing or more complex than before.

So, when someone tells you a story, it is always better to listen than to give your opinion for the same. So, “Watch your Words” …. always.

2 comments:

Nidhi said...

well I do agree with you as you end the post,

DarkDepth said...

Very well said. I have similar thoughts. But when may be we should tell out our opinion and not expect them to follow. Afterall its just an opinion and not a command. Who knows our opinions could be wrong too. Personally, I would count on every opinion given. "Just count" would not follow till I am convinced and feel it my decision.